by Jane Atkinson
Quite often I’ll Google speaker websites to check out the competition for my clients. In today’s competitive climate, it shocks me to see that many speakers still start out their home page saying things like ‘John Doe is the best speaker you’ve ever heard. Hire John for your next meeting’.
As the economy tightens, do you think that John Doe is the type of speaker that clients desire? I have my doubts.
The marketing flip flip is about putting the outcomes to the client first, and thespeaker (as the solution to their problem) second.
Unless you are a celebrity or bestselling author, your website should probably not be about you.
It should be about the service and solution that you offer. The exception to this would be speakers like The Passing Zone. They are jugglers and are mostly hired at meetings to entertain. They might also be better known than the average speaker, due to a stint on America’s Got Talent last year.
Take a speaker like Toni Newman for instance. She’s an innovation expert. Her website is about innovation first, Toni second. http://www.toninewman.com – check it out you’ll see what I mean.
Here are a few questions to help you evaluate your marketing:
1. When arriving at your website, does the client know what you will do for them (outcomes) within the first 30 seconds?
2. Is the first 1/3 of your home page about them and their needs rather than you?
3. Are you positioned as an expert and a problem solver? Or as a ‘speaker’?
If you answered ‘no’ to any of these questions consider doing a marketing flip flop to switch the order of your home page copy to be more client and outcome oriented.
It won’t take you too long to do this, and I believe it will have an impact. Try it, and
write me back to let me know how it goes.
ps: need help with your flip flop? I have 4 spaces left for 30 minute sample coaching sessions in May. If you’ve read The Wealthy Speaker, then you qualify for a free session. Get in touch with me at [email protected] to schedule your time. Or if needed, click here to pick up your copy of The Wealthy Speaker http://www.speakerlauncher.com/tools.html
1326 Huron St. #339
London, Ontario N5V 2E2
Latest posts by Terry Green (see all)
- Connecting on LinkedIn the Right Way and the Wrong Way - August 17, 2017
- Why Failure Is a Necessary Step On The Path To Success! - August 15, 2017
- How To Add Video Marketing To Your Strategy! - August 14, 2017