Have you ever been to a networking event or a business conference and avoided someone simply because of the look on their face or because they were standing there with their arms crossed in that standoffish, “keep away from me” pose? What do others see when they look across the room at you? Do you have that same look on your face? Do you look bored or distracted? Gloria Auth, IAC – Certified Coach, founder and director of Protocol Plus gives us some great insight into the importance of body language.
*Tips to Outclass Your Competition – What does the mirror say?
Over half of our communication is transmitted through body language. Be careful you are sending and/or reading the right message.
- Good eye contact shows you are interested, connected and comfortable. Smile with your eyes. Poor eye contact, or looking at the floor shows lack of interested, discomfort or distraction.
- Facial gestures – especially the mouth are real tellers. A tense downward mouth shows tension and an upward, relaxed mouth shows comfort and acceptance. A captivating smile is an invitation to conversation and is your messenger of good will.
- Observe hands and fingers. Avoid pointing fingers, pounding your fist, wringing your hands, knuckle cracking, or playing with pocket change. They are perceived as aggressive.
Evaluate yourself by looking in the mirror. Pretend you are someone else looking at you and ask, “How would I view someone who looks, talks, and acts as I do?”
Make the most of your strengths so others will read your body language as friendly and inviting. To make the best impression you can, visit http://www.protocolplus.net/seminar/outclass.html and find out how you can outshine your competition.
Gloria Auth Copyright 2005
Latest posts by Terry Green (see all)
- How Do You Show Appreciation And Thanks To Your Clients? - June 27, 2017
- The Flat Out Truth About Why You Should Never EVER Stop Marketing! - June 26, 2017
- Quick and Easy Video Apps to Get Your Message Out There! - June 22, 2017