by Jane Atkinson
I believe that one of the most difficult things for speakers to do is come up with fresh marketing language.
And using words in your speech titles or promise statements* that bureaus, audiences or decision makers might have seen 5 or 10 years ago can lose you business…. quickly!
Think about it. A meeting planner is reviewing 5 speakers for an upcoming event. Let’s say they begin by looking at each speaker’s website. One website is fresh and cutting edge, while the other 4 look boring or outdated and are using speech
titles that include words like ‘believe and you can achieve’.
Now don’t get me wrong, Napoleon Hill was onto something big with the believe/achieve concept…but the language has been used since 1960! I believe Mr. Hill would be cool with us moving on!
There is new, fresh, vibrant language out there, you just have to dig for it. Here are some steps for freshening up your marketing: Go through all of your marketing materials and ask the questions
1. Has this language been used before?
2. Does it show the flavor of my personality and how I am unique?
3. Does this language have spark and spirit? Does it vibrate off the page?
4. Does my marketing compete with the speakers on the market today? Do I know who the hottest speaker in my category is?
5. Does this language make the client jump up and say ‘Yes! We need that!!’
If you’re blocked and want to ratchet up your creativity, take a look at some of the bestselling books for their titles and subtitles. Seth Godin’s ‘Purple Cow: How to Transform Your Business By Being Remarkable’ or ‘Blue Ocean Strategy: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make the Competition Irrelevant’ are just a couple.
Don’t wait to make your marketing vibrant – your business depends on it.
* PS: Want to know more about what’s hot in marketing and promise statements? Check out The Wealthy Speaker book, workbook and audio. Speaker Launcher Tools.
Latest posts by Terry Green (see all)
- Connecting on LinkedIn the Right Way and the Wrong Way - August 17, 2017
- Why Failure Is a Necessary Step On The Path To Success! - August 15, 2017
- How To Add Video Marketing To Your Strategy! - August 14, 2017